Kota Kinabalu, January 20, 2021: Sabah Progressive Party (SAPP) Vice President Gee Tien Siong, urged the government to allow hairdressing salons to operate during the MCO 2.0, implemented from January 13 to January 26.
About a thousand hairdressing salons in Sabah were affected by this ruling which put them again in a tight spot economically. The Movement Control Order (MCO) started in March last year where hairdressers are not allowed to operate under regulations set by the government until June 2020.
It was in June 2020 that the CMCO relaxed the rules allowing hairdressing salons to open with strict SOPs but it did not last long where they were ordered closed during MCO 2.0.
Gee said that these hairdressers who were allowed to open business for only half a year in 2020 has earnestly requested the government relaxes the rules and let them open their businesses following strict SOPs as condition.
Representatives of the barbershops, Mr Yang and Mr Zhen who sought consultations and help from Gee on their dilemma.
Zheng told Gee that due to government restrictions on their business, many hairdressers forced by the circumstances resorted to conduct their own haircut business “in secret” at home to sustain their livelihoods. He said that it is even more difficult to trace the source of the disease without proper operating conditions in this case.
In contrast, if barbershops were allowed to operate, customers and barbers must wear standard masks and disposable protective suits, customers service basing on appointment, plus other required SOPs set by the authorities.
Gee said he will forward all their suggestions to the Chief Minister’s office and the Disaster Committee. He hoped that the authorities will relax the rules and allow barbershops and hairdressing salons to operate earlier before the coming Chinese New Year to avoid crowds rushing for new year haircuts. He said this will also help to avoid hairdressers operating secretly during this pandemic for economic survival.